Monday, May 4, 2009

Teaching an Old Dog New Trick

I have discovered that even at the age of 36 which people still seem to deem "young", it is very hard to break old habits. I started on the journey to a better, stronger, healthier me about fourth months ago, when after 20 years of being a diet coke addict, I quit. Cold turkey, just said goodbye the delicious fizz and the phenaphylanines. It was hard for a few weeks and found I had to check myself often as it came naturally without thinking to order a diet coke since I have been ordering DC for so many years. However, I did it and now I drink a cup or two of coffee every morning to wake up.

Now I am breaking the habit of not making exercise a priority and it has been two weeks and a lot of work, but I am enjoying it. I wonder if I will ever walk again rather than hobble, but if hobbling will make me healthier, then I am ok with that. It is a challenge to fit it into the daily rat race, but I am making it work so far.

Now, two weeks into the exercise rehab, I am tackling the eating. This I find is the hardest of all. It is hard work and expensive and exhausting to be a Mommy to four young children and a wife and a CEO of the corporation that is our household. Finding the time to plan meals, cook them and stock the fridge with healthy food and snacks seems like mission impossible.

I had sort of hoped that once I started exercising the pounds would just fall off on their own and that I could still eat and drink in the same style I had always before. However, this is not happening. I spent a day wondering if maybe my mind can be taught new tricks, but not my body, maybe my body just likes being overweight and wants to be a heffalump.

NO! My Mind and body want to be a pixie. I am starting a war with my body and I intend on teaching this old dog a new trick.

This is a hard battle, but I know if I try hard enough, I can suceed, so bring on the battle body.

No comments:

Post a Comment