Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Did It! My first 5K.

I was so nervous yesterday, I mean nervous. This was it. This was real. I was going to put myself out there as a registered runner, knowing that most 60 year old runners would be faster than me. Knowing that most runners would be thinner than me. In better shape than me. However, I did not think many would be more motivated than me. I packed my family in the car and headed out on a beautiful evening up to a gorgeous park in Beverly. I am so happy we discovered this park, right on the water with a walkway around Beverly waters, an amazing playground, beach, beach volleyball, wide open fields and an ice cream shop. We wil go back. The kids were happy playing while I went to register.

I must have looked clueless and like I might vomit because a kind organizer asked me if this was my first race. I told her it was and she was supportive and made me relax a bit. She even came over to me later and took down my name and address and told me that if she had any shirts leftover she would mail me one since it was my first race.

I was meeting my All Ears teamates Calin and Josh for and their adorable kids for the first time. Calin was runnig with me and although I am sure she could have blown me away, she was very kind and ran at my pace. It was so fun getting to know them and I am excited to race with them, run with them and hang out again. THANKS CALIN!

I forgot, the number for my first race was 163. No medal, but that is ok, I had a number.

We stared out in a mob and soon enough relaxed into a good slow jog. Calin was comfortable to talk and jog and that made me at ease. I often had to wait a breath or two to get the words out, but it was relaxing to have a friend to talk with while running. At mile 1 they gave us water, and I thought I could run and drink at the same time, nope. That apparently is another skill you have to train for. At mile two we were at 27 minutes, I thought that was a pretty good pace for me. Around 2.5 I was starting to feel it, this was the fastest I had run before and there were some inclines we were dealing with, I lost my ability to chat at that point except for a few Shrek Donkey references of are we there yet?

I was hoping Boom Boom Pow with Michelle and Mike would come on my shuffle about then, but I couldn't find it. Although I got my fave song to run to right as we were rounding the corner to the finish The Heart Brings you back by Blues Traveler. We finished at 42 minutes and some change and it felt AWESOME! I was tired and felt like I pushed myself.

The atmosphere at the races makes you push yourself, and I think that is a huge benefit of doing them. I am excited to do my next one. I feel tired today but got in a strong swim this am 40 laps freestyle and 15 kicking. I am not too sore though, just tired.

I did not get to refuel last night because we did not leave the park at about 8:15pm and that menat that the kids dinner had consisted of the post race snacks of cookies, chips, juice, ice cream and posicles, hmm have to plan better for that the next race. I was too tired to cook when we got home, so dinner was baked tostitos chips and salsa.

I am going to figure out a schedule of races to do and post them. I am asking people if they want to help me fundraise to fight breast cancer to donate $5 everytime I finish a race.

I will definetely feel nervous, but more confident at the next race, I keep thinking about where I started mid April when I could not run for 5 minutes straight.

If you think you can you will for it's all in the state of mind.
#263

1 comment:

  1. Way To Go Girl!

    You did awesome!

    One steps, one day, one race at a time.

    Just Keep Swimming!

    Boom Boom Pow!

    ReplyDelete