Monday, June 8, 2009

Setting Goals

Wow, I have decided that the end of the year is much crazier than the holidays. We have been double and triple booked most days with end of the year activities and I must say it has been a struggle to squeeze in workouts. Last week was a rough week, but the good news is that I joined weight watchers, got yet another pair of new sneaker and got new inserts from align.

I am finding weight watchers easy in the day and harder at night but am not finding the time to write down everything that I eat.

I have found that goal setting is really working for me. I have a goal to run the neck without stopping, I came close this past Sunday, I was able to run up the first five inclines without stopping. I also have set a goal to be able to swim a mile freestyle. Freestyle has been very difficult for me so far. I swam 10 laps today and felt really proud. You have to believe in yourself to set a goal and accomplish it and you have to push yourself to accomplish it and most of all you have to dream to achieve your end goals and believe in yourself and your dreams

I have learned these past seven weeks that so much of this fitness training is a mental war. If you believe in yourself and set a goal and don't quit in your mind, your body will rise to the occasion and accomplish your goals. If you are negative and tell yourself you can't do that, you will quit.

It reminds me of one of my fave Mark Twain poems

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don’t.
If you like to win but don’t think you can,
It’s almost certain you won’t
If you think you’ll lose, you’ve lost
For out in the world you’ll find Success begins with a fellows will;
It’s all in a state of mind
For many a game is lost,
Before even a play is run,And many a coward fails
Before even his work has begun
Think big and your deeds will grow;
Think small and you’ll fall behind Think that you can and you will;
It’s all in a state of mind
Life’s battles don’t always go To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later the man who wins Is the fellow who thinks he can!

No comments:

Post a Comment