Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Science of it all.

I have to be honest. When I embarked on the running quest mid-April, I thought this will be simple and straightforward. I watch what I eat, I log the training runs and I show up on 1/2 marathon day 100 pounds lighter and an Olympian runner who would run 7 minute miles without breaking a sweat. How hard can running be, no equiptment needed, no experience or gym membership required, just slap on those running shoes and go.

BOY WAS I Mistaken!

Running is an extremely complex sport. I feel like I am learning a new language or getting another degree. And it is not inexpensive either!! I had to learn about running sneakers, then I had to learn about inserts, then proper clothes, then the science of hydration and electrolites, how not to injure myself, nutrition, training schedules, training methods, training races, heart rate monitors, ipods, phew, my head is spinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is fun to get engrossed in this new world though. There is a huge community of runners out there and they are not all the fastest and the fitest. There are plenty of people like me I am discovering.

I ran a 5K in Newburyport last night in 90 degree heat and humidity and it was hard, ok it was hell. Afterward I had serious leg cramping for the first time and today I am destroyed. I should have been drinking electrolytes so now I need to find a hydration system $$$$. I need to get a heart rate monitor $$$. I stuck with it though and finished despite wanting to quit.

I am still at a standstill with my pace. Still stuck in the 13 minute mile pace. Now I have to start researching how to improve that.

I have my first long 6 mile run I need to push through this weekend, wish me luck!

Also, random question why do the course designers need to always put a large hill at the end of a 5K. Do they think we enjoy that? I certainly do not, rolling hills are fine, but a 1/4 mile long steep hill at the end of the course just takes all of the fun out of the race.

1 comment:

  1. Evil marathon planners but hills at the end of marathons too. They stink!

    Good luck on your 6 mile run! Just take it one step at a time, keep hydrated, go as slow as you need to. You still have five months to train for your big race and it'll get easier once the fall arrives.

    ReplyDelete