Saturday, May 22, 2010

Recipies

Some friends have been asking me for recipes. Where have I been getting them and can I post them. I have to admit that I have loved cooking and food for a long time. I just never realized that I had been eating the wrong way and that it had been hurting me and my family. I love to cook, but have always had an infant or toddler calling, I often did not from pure exhaustion and lack of being an octopus. I have been reading cookbooks and watching food tv for year, so I kind of have a rough idea of lots of recipes in my head. I have to mention that much like my fave chef Rachael Ray, I do not measure so please forgive me when I say a bit of that and a bunch of this or a squirt of that.

I have leaned a lot in the past few weeks. I have learned that my kitchen was so ill equipped for regular cooking. I had no mixing bowls, no storage containers, not enough cooking pans, so I have been shopping a lot the past few weeks, but as I told , my husband, I have not ordered out breakfast or lunch or take out in 3 weeks, that is a huge savings! Anyway, let's go meal by meal with the recipes I have made so far.

A few things I have learned this week, I have to go to the supermarket several times a week. I have to plan my meals so I do not overspend and waste. I need to shop at multiple supermarkets to maximize savings.

I have also learned that every meal needs to be a balance between complex carbs, veggies, fruit, protein and dairy. So for example don't just eat a fried egg, eat it on wheat toast with mushrooms and light cheese with strawberries.

Breakfast

For the kids.
Gabe loves oatmeal, I have been buying the organic microwave packs although my goal is to switch to heating all natural on the stove, I have been adding flax and wheat germ.

Gabe and Bella's love yogurt parfaits. We take Stoneyfield yogurt in a bowl add fresh fruit, flax and wheat germ and top with granola.

Bella and Amelia love egg sandwiches. I take one egg and fry it with Pam and toast a whole wheat English muffin and a slice of organic cheddar cheese and serve.

They also love cheerios and the bunnies organic cereal with fresh fruit.

We have also been making smoothies everyday.

Fresh bananas, vanilla greek yogurt, skim milk, flax and wheat germ and frozen pineapples, blueberries, strawberries have been the faves so far.

For me for breakfast, I have been doing a slice of Ezekiel toast with one egg and one egg white with veggies of some sort, spinach, mushrooms tomatoes, salsa and gucac. So yummy and keeps me full all morning.

Snacks

We have been snacking on fresh fruit, yogurt, seeds, nuts, dried fruit and fresh veggies, will also add popcorn popped plain to the mix.

Lunch

For the kids, it has often been peanut butter and nutella on whole wheat or grilled cheese or english muffin pizzas or dinner leftovers with fresh fruit and yogurt.

For me, I love greek yogurt so I have been doing greek yogurt with fresh fruit and flax and wheat germ and some fresh veggies.

Sometimes, I do leftover dinner.

I have also made a chicken salad and tuna salad to have for quick pitas with tomato and spinach.

Chicken salad
Fresh chicken grilled or roasted and cut into cubes.
Diced celery
Halved red grapes
salt and pepper to taste
herb of choice, basil, thyme, tarragon, chives
Greek yogurt
green apples diced
Sliced almonds or walnuts
Lemon juice

Mix all ingredients to taste. Refrigerate and serve, yummy!

Tuna salad
Same as the above, but with tuna packed in water and add a dash of olive oil and also hot sauce.

Salmon salad
Canned salmon and same as above

Dinner
Waldorf salad side
Diced green apples and red grapes
chives chopped
salt and pepper,
lemon juice
sliced almonds or walnuts
greek yogurt
Mix all together and yum for a week


Greek pasta salad
While wheat spaghetti cooked
Olive oil
salt and pepper
basil
feta cheese
grape tomatoes halved
cucumber diced
feta cheese
green olives
diced red onion
diced walnuts
spinach
dried cranberries


Vinaigrette
oven roasted garlic cloves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Toss everything together and enjoy!

Yummiest Pizza

Whole foods whole grain dough
Spinach
walnuts
cranberries
diced red onions
caramelized onions
oven roasted garlic
shredded goat cheese


Bake crust for 15 minutes in 400 oven
Add all ingredients
Bake for 20 more minutes, yum



More to come

No comments:

Post a Comment